Friday, June 24, 2011

Summer Solstice - La Fete de la Musique

La Fête de la Musique is a lively street music festival held on the longest day of the year, June 21st.  It is one of the most popular events in the city of light. Hundreds of musicians gather in the streets, bars, and cafes of Paris, giving free performances of everything from jazz and rock to hip-hop and electronic music. The event begins at 8:00 p.m. or sundown and everyone converges throughout the city.  I could see and hear music as I walked to the Metro to meet Theresa, Jean-Luc and Lynn for an evening filled with adventure.

First stop, Theresa and Jean-Luc's for an apéritif  and a skype conversation with my former boyfriend and he is a colleague of Jean Luc's.  After a few glasses of champagne, off we went to listen to music.  Judy and Ekkehard did not attend has Judy was working as well as entertaining her newest guest Howie from New York.  The music and people rock.  I took some pictures of the streets for you to see what I'm talking about.





Lynn strolling the Fete du la Musique

Drummer, no shirt



Hundreds of people lined the river walkways near Notre Dame.  I've never seen so many people at night!

People at the river near Notre Dame

Hula Hooper at Notre Dame.  I wish I was this good. 


I don't remember learning this at Hoopnotica...Hmmm
Earlier, I made the comment to Judy, Ekkehart, Theresa and Jean-Luc about how outwardly demonstrative and affectionate people are in Paris and Portugal.  Couples hold hands, talk to each other whether riding the metro, grocery shopping, just strolling the streets, dining or drinking coffee.  It was noticable enough for me to make the comment and snap the following picture ala Jean-Luc and Theresa...Enjoy!
Theresa and Jean-Luc at Fete de la Musique

No comments:

Post a Comment