Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 1: It smells like paint but the wine is spectacular!

Upon my early morning Paris arrival, I was greeted by Ekkehard who looked like he had not slept all night.  We sat in the airport and drank espresso before heading out to the Faraday apartment in the seventeenth arrondisemont. Finding a parking spot was easy and once Judy greeted us at the door it was clear a major renovation project was underway.  It smells like paint, and it reminded me of when they initially bought the Faraday apartment and Ekkehard was on his knees tirelessly filling the parque with twine.  A thankless task by any any standard.  The image of Ekkehard remindded me of this famous painting by the artist Gustave Caillebotte from his famous 1875 Floor Scrappers painting courtesy of Musee D'Orsey, my favorite impressionist museum.  His brothers photography exhibit is on display and we plan to attend before it leaves Paris.



The living room is under renovation, furniture is collectively in the middle of the room covered in plastic while the painters prep the walls for painting.  Ekkehard is preparing to un-hinge the windows in preparation for sanding in the countryside home (Boury).   Jude is a bit un-nerved by all the mess and activity and wants the whole thing to be done.  I can't say that I blame her.  Oh, to add insult to injury, I planned my trip in the middle of their remodel.  Smart huh?

I'm excited to see Mak (the cat) as he and I have a fondness for hugs and kisses.



As you can see the house is a true bordello.  Because of the Faraday renovations, accomodations are tight so we'll be heading over to the Grenelle (studio apartment) where just days before an exchange student (Gretchen) was living while studying in Paris at Parson's School of Design.  Gretchen's most redeeming feature was the bottle of vodka left in the refrigerator and the jar of Nutella for anyone wanting a snack.  Housecleaning was not on her list of must-do while in Paris.  We had our work cut out for us but first a cat nap.

After a two hour nap, I sprang into action.  Ekkehard and I disassembled the large table taking up much needed space in the studio while Judy cooked up a fabulous meal.  Lynn Shaw stopped by with delicious macaroons from Ladurée bakery founded in 1862. We ate and drank until 3:00 am.  Did I mention Ekkehard went back to Faraday to greet the painters early in the morning?  I slept in until 2:00 pm!  I have never slept in that long since I was 12!

No comments:

Post a Comment