Friday, June 17, 2011

Impressions, Impressionists and Others

I'm a big fan of the Impressionistic era art though Henri Matisse (post impressionist movement) is my fav, fav, favorite though there are others I more than appreciate.  I met Lynn Shaw at the Grand Palais along with a friend she met a year earlier in Paris to see the Odilon Redon exhibition.  Redon was a surreal impressionist using symbolism as a way to communicate his style to the more well known impressionist artists. 

His art consists of both black and white sketches and paintings using color to illustrate his concepts.  He was a perpectual student unlike the masters such as Picasso, Matisse, and Manet but he improved over the years.  He was a master promoter dedicating his collections to famous people such as Edgar Alan Poe.  We could all learn a thing or two from his marketing prowess.    Below is one of his ink sketches though my favorite is one called derriere and the fish head... I hope you enjoy!!!



I waited in line for the free impressionist exhibit at the Hotel de Ville featuring drawings of Paris!  It was really nice to see Paris back in the 19th & 20th century.  Additionally, they showed a great black and white slide show of Sacré Cour and Monmarte using real people!  It was awesome and would I loved to have found a book with those prints alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment